Over the next couple of months, in conjunction with our Bikini Bod Bootcamp (BBB), I will be sharing some delicious and healthy recipes with you. The hope is that BBB becomes more than just a workout routine, but a lifestyle change as well. Remember, you gain strength in the gym, but lose in the kitchen! It’s the small changes in the types of food we consume that will make the most impact on our bodies.
So, today, I’d like to introduce you to a staple in the Weaver home. And, when I say staple, I mean it. This is a dish that holds everything together. Eaten nearly every morning, I’d be lost without it! So, without further ado, I give you: Yogurt Delight. Now, the yogurt part is pretty self explanatory, but it’s the delight part that makes this breakfast/snack/dessert absolutely…well…delightful!
Adam introduced me to YD (that’s what we call it at home) while we were dating, but it wasn’t until we got married and moved in together that I got to fully experience all that is Yogurt Delight. You see, there are some things that you just don’t question your husband about. The almighty YD is one of them. Adam taught me the key components of this dish and I have learned through a little trial-and-error of my own, that the man knows what he’s talking about. Big time. Yogurt Delight is an original creation of he and our friend Anthony. So, if you have a chance, be sure to thank them for their ingenuity.
And, it is with gratitude to them, that I share Yogurt Delight with you! Below is a simple diagram for your quick reference.
It is, indeed, that simple. However, like I mentioned before, you MUST get the ingredients just right! For this purpose, I have provided you with an exact list of what you should be using to craft your own YD.
What You’ll Need::
- Stonyfield Farms WHOLE Milk French Vanilla Yogurt. I tried to be a good girl and use the reduced fat. Big mistake. Now, before you get all worried about the whole milk, keep in mind that this is high quality milk, from happy cows. And, it’s chock full of probiotics which will do your intestines a whole lotta good. Feel better? Me too!
- Bananas. Be sure they’re firm.
- Strawberries. Be sure they’re ripe and juicy!
- Blueberries. Be sure they’re firm and crispy. You should hear the skin break when you bite em!
- Raw Almonds. This means that cannot be roasted, toasted, salted, or sweetened. Raw only.
- Mix-Ins! These are completely optional and have been introduced to the traditional YD recipe by yours truly:
- Chia Seeds. Sprinkle a few of these puppies on for an added punch of protein and Omega-3 fatty acids. Chia is a SUPER food that can reduce your blood pressure, help keep you hydrated, keep you feeling fuller longer, and prevent your body from absorbing some of the nasties you eat. Not to mention that they’re a fun pop of texture!
- Organic, Plain-Jane granola. I like Back to Nature’s Classic variety as it has a lot less sugar than most granola you find at the grocery store. And, once again, it’s all about added texture!
What To Do::
- Wash and slice your fruit.
- Mix it ALL together
Now, I will add in one disclaimer: the ORIGINAL Yogurt Delight (as in: what Adam and Anthony artfully crafted the day YD was born) should be made with mangoes and peaches, as opposed to any other fruit. However, those beauties are in season for such a short time, that adjustments have been made over the years to incorporate more readily found ripe fruit. So, by all means, try yourself a bowl of Yogurt Delight full of summer fruits when the time comes!
I hope you enjoy Yogurt Delight as much as we do. It’s the perfect breakfast to get you fueled up and feeling full for hours!
Nourish and Be Nourished::