I grew up in a home with a white tornado. If you don’t know what that means, check out this sweet commercial from 1972.
The white tornado I’m talking about, however, isn’t Ajax, but my Mom. The woman can clean. Dust bunnies didn’t exists in my childhood home, nor did soap scum, mildew, smudges, or scuff marks. You’d think, of course, that the cleaning gene would be strong in our family, but much to Mom’s dismay, her girls just don’t have the knack like she does. Sure we’ve had to pass many white glove inspections, but it just doesn’t come naturally.
Fortunately, I’ve discovered some go-to supplies that make cleaning almost enjoyable. Almost. These gems all have “white tornado” power without the stanky chemical smells that accompany the 1972 version of Ajax.
- Fit Produce Wash. No, this is not used to clean your home, but something more important: your food. This spray not only rinses residual chemicals off your produce, but also gets rid of the nasty, waxy finish a lot of your fruits and veggies come home with. This is great for those times you can’t go organic!
- An old, soft t-shirt. That’s right, one of my favorite cleaning supplies happens to be a ratty, old, stained t-shirt. Who says you have to pay an arm and a leg for a good dust cloth? This is a great way to recycle some of those clothing articles that would normally be thrown away. Remember, the softer, the better!
- Scotch Bright Greener Clean Sponges. These sponges are tough on grit & grime, but gentle on your household surfaces. AND, they’re made of 100% plant based materials, making them 100% biodegradable. Get a coupon for yours here!
- Dyson Ball Vacuum. Plain and simple, Dyson creates the most amazing vacuum cleaners on the planet. The roller ball version is more compact than the original Dyson, making it easier to maneuver, while generating the same incredible suction power. This machine can be used on basically any flooring surface and is SO worth the money!
- Green Works All Purpose Cleaner. This is definitely my go-to countertop/stovetop/refrigerator door spray. Made by Clorox, but 97% naturally derived, this cleaner has been dermatologist tested, so it won’t remove your top layer of skin while it removes grease from your appliances!
- J.R. Watkins Lavender Glass Cleaner. This coconut-based glass cleaner is perhaps my favorite smelling cleaner of all time. Infused with lavender, you get streak-free shine without the burn of alcohol each time your spray down your favorite mirror.
- Swiffer Dust & Shine Spray with Febreeze. This furniture polish may not be all-natural, but it is still the jam! You can use this light mist on wood, granite, leather, you name it. Not to mention, it’s another delicious smelling cleaner.
- Bar Keepers Friend. This tried and true talcum scrub has been around since 1882. That’s a long time! Derived from an ingredient found in rhubarb, this classic powder cleanser has some serious credentials. From cleaning your toilet to polishing your golf clubs, this stuff is friend to more than just Bar Keepers.
So, there ya have it: a few of my favorite cleaning supplies that not only keep it clean, but make the grade on eco-friendlieness too! I hope you’re inspired to test these out on some mid-summer cleaning of your own!