It doesn’t take a master chef to make a grilled cheese. In fact, this perfectly American sandwich staple was one of the first things I ever learned to make as a child, therefore, I take it as my duty to share my expertise.
Before I get into the step-by-step, there are a few things to note about grilled cheese sandwiches. They are not healthy. Whole wheat bread will not make them healthy. Don’t try to make them healthy; you’ll ruin them. They should be enjoyed on occasion (read: in moderation) in their full cheesy-buttery glory. Just go for a run when you’re fully digested.
Please also note that although you can’t make a good, healthy grilled cheese, you can add all sorts of mix-ins should you so desire. What I’m here to teach you, however, is a good ol’ classic grilled cheese sandwich!
What You’ll Need::
- Cheese, thinly sliced. Any firm cheese will do.
What to Do::
- Heat your skillet over medium-low heat. This is crucial as you don’t want to burn your bread without melting your cheese!
- Butter one piece of bread and place it on the skillet, butter side down. Then, top with cheese. I prefer 2 slices.
- Butter the other slice of bread and place it on top of the cheese, butter facing up
- Place a cover on your skillet. This is the secret key to a PERFET grilled cheese. This allows the heat to remain in the skillet, thus melting your cheese, yet keeping the bread from burning.
- Flip your sandwich and turn up the burner to medium/medium-high.
- Carefully monitor the rate at which your cheese is melting compared to the rate at which your slice of bread is browning. You shouldn’t have to keep this side on the skillet for more than 3 minutes.
- Remove sandwich from heat and cut with a diagonal line. That’s the final must in making the PERFECT grilled cheese!
- Bon appetit!
Easy cheesy, see?!
Nourish and Be Nourished::