This weekend, we had the chance to celebrate my wonderful boyfriend Adam’s birthday. He turns 28 tomorrow, May 16, and with that kind of age comes a certain air of maturity and gentlemanliness (that one’s a mouthful!). I kept this in mind when trying to find the perfect gift for him and I’m proud to say I think I hit a home run. Adam casually mentioned several months ago that he wanted a stationary set with his initials printed on each piece.
Taking my cue from that comment, I headed to Nourish husband and graphic designer Greg Perkins of The Ram! Project to enlist some professional help. Greg and I took some time to discuss Adam’s style and decided that a classic, masculine theme with some elements of nature would do the trick. Let me tell you, Greg did an incredible job!! Take a look at the finished materials, a 5×7 card printed front and back and a 4×6 fold-over card featuring a custom seal with Adam’s initials and a woodgrain background.
Despite the fact that the stationary Greg designed was perfect, we all know that presentation is a key element to successful gift giving. So, with Greg’s advice, I found a simple wooden box at a local craft store and gave it a stain to enhance its manliness. It was a really simple project that made a huge difference in the overall finesse of the gift. Below is the step-by-step how-to in case you have a gentleman in your life that deserves such a present.
What You’ll Need:
- Item for staining
- A screwdriver depending on the hardware of said item
- Sand paper
- Clean cloths for wiping
- Stain in your choice of color
- Foam brush
- Newspaper or other disposable material for drop cloth
- Remove any hardware you don’t want to get the stain on
- Prepare your surface with an absorbent drop cloth
- Sand the wood surface of your item with the grain
- Wipe of any sanding residue with a clean cloth
- Apply an even coat of your stain using the foam brush, following the grain of the wood
- Allow the stain to saturate the wooden surface for 10-2o minutes
- Using another clean cloth, firmly wipe all excess stain from the item
- Depending on the color you want to achieve, you can add another coat after approx. 4 hours of drying time
- Replace all hardware
- Voila! You have a new, sophisticated piece.